Monday, August 27, 2012

Jessica watches another movie

I love horror movies.  I love them even when they are bad.  Because I watch so many movies, very rarely am I scared or surprised.  Don't get me wrong, even when I know something is going to happen (usually based on the music or the scene) I still will jump.  I'm not talking about jumpy-scared, I'm talking about sitting-with-your-back-to-a-wall-so-nothing-can-sneak-up-behind-you-even-when-you're-in-your-living-room-scared.

This weekend I saw The Cabin in the Woods.  When it first came out, I read reviews for it and most critics said that it was self aware and sort of mocked horror films.  So, I've been wanting to see it.  SIL doesn't like scary movies (I'm pretty sure we've already covered that), so my brother asked if I wanted to watch it with him this weekend.  

via
The basic bare bones premise per IMDB: "Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods."  

You think you know the story...think again. 

 I liked it.  It wasn't too particularly scary, it wasn't too particularly gory. They poke fun at all the horror flick cliches, but I thought they did it in a clever way.  The end wasn't what I was hoping for but it never is.  There were some parts where I honest to God checked to make sure that it was #1 Brother's dog next to my chair making noises. And that is more "I'm so scared that this is going to scare me" level then actually being scared by the movie.  Movies have a way of doing that to me.  

I also watched The Dictator.  This was a movie that I had not interest in seeing.  I saw Borat and thought it was really funny.  I think the funniest thing about that movie was the fact that the people in the movie didn't realize it was fake.  I didn't see Bruno, I thought it would be too similar to Borat.  #1 Brother told me it was pretty funny and it was more mainstream comedy then Borat.  

IMDB
It was much funnier than I anticipated.  That's really all I can say.  There were a few bits that I felt were unnecessary, but it wouldn't be a Sasha Baron-Cohen film otherwise.  


No comments: