Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Another movie

Well actually, make that two movies.  

First, I went to see Prometheus with my brother.  I had no desire to see this.  At all.  I'm sure, eventually, I would have watched in on DVD; but if I never saw it, I have lived my life fine.  My brother, on the other hand, really wanted to see it.  SIL does not do well with scary, gory or suspenseful movies. We went to see Black Swan and she had her eyes covered for part of it if that gives you a reference.  So I, unfortunately at times, am my brother's go to person for those types of movies.  And because I am missing his birthday so I can do the Warrior Dash he insisted this was the way I could make it up to him.  Alas, my brother lives an hour and a half away.  The halfway point is where my parents live, but the theaters are small (they only take cash.  Who only takes cash these days??) and the sound quality is horrible.  Needless to say, a couple of movie buffs aren't going there.  

This is what I get on Saturday morning:


So I tell him I didn't really feel like driving since I was slightly under the weather from the previous evening's outing, but maybe I would change my mind.  Then I got thinking:  On Thursday my brother got out of work early and drove to where I live to come see my lame school poster presentation. So I decided to be an awesome sister and surprise him.  

imdb

Like I said, I had no desire to see this.  However, I almost always enjoy any movie I see. It's a "prequel" to the Alien series.  I know I've seen the Alien movies, but I don't actually think I've seen them as an adult.  So I don't remember them.  But that really isn't necessary to understand this movie.  It's less of a prequel and more of a movie that just takes place in the same universe.  Prometheus is about a group of people, some scientists, some business people, who travel into outer space looking for our aliens that they believe may have created us.
.I think because I had no preconceived notions, I enjoyed more than I would have.  However, afterwards, my brother and I deconstructed it (as we do) we started to notice a lot of plot holes and random scenes that were never explained.   My brother spent the evening looking up stuff on blogs to see what other people had to say.  He found some interesting stuff out that helped us understand the holes and whatnot.  But I think you shouldn't have to look up stuff online to understand movies. Especially summer blockbusters.  

The 3D was great!  It wasn't a lot of "in your face" stuff (which I have recently learned is called "beyond the window").  It was subtle.  It had a lot of depth (which is called "before the window" apparently).  So if I had to see it, I'm glad I saw it in a theater, in 3D.  There's no way that would have been good on my TV.  

On Sunday, I watched Chronicle.  

imdb

So good!! It's about a group of high school boys that find something in a cavern and end up with super powers.  It's all fun and games until one of them gets a bit creepy.  It's "found footage" but it's not a typical found footage movie. I honestly can't describe it because I know I would end up either making it sound silly or talking it up too much.  It's not scary or gory; so if you don't like that sort of thing don't worry.  It's different and well done.  I find those two qualities to be few and far between in movies these days.      


No comments: