Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Help!

Ok so we all know I signed up for the Warrior Dash because, clearly, I'm insane.  And I have a goal in mind; I want to train for 5 miles even though the race is only a 5K.  I'm hoping the extra endurance will make the "obstacles" feel like nuthin'.  And once it gets nicer out I want to start running outside.  I was really good about running for 2ish weeks. Then I would either forget my workout stuff at home or something would be going on at work that would make running difficult (darn those kids!  Always so needy). So I stopped running for about two weeks.  I *need* to start again!   I was doing one of the programs on the treadmill that had inclines and speed changes.  Today I did a manual run.  I did the whole thing (one mile) on incline 4 out of 9 and got up to 6mph.  Most of it I ran at 4.5 and I sped up at the end; kinda like a sprint to the finish line.  Then I walked about a quarter mile.  I figured something is better than nothing, right?

I have no idea how to train for anything.  Can someone please fill me in on the best way to train for 5 miles?  Should I always do five miles and if I need to walk some, then walk some?  Or should I slowly increase my distance?  Help me!!!

Also what songs do you like to listen to while you work out?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't remember if you have an ipod touch but if you do, get the Couch to 5K app. They walk you through everything and its super motivating. If you don't have an ipod, you can find similar programs online. You just won't have the audio of someone saying "Great job. See you in a couple days. Keep on running."

Jess said...

I don't have touch but I will look into that online. My friend who's running the race with me is using that app