Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm gonna puke...

Perhaps, probably not though. 

As part of my program, the professors fill out an assessment about us.  The Personal Qualities Assessment, henceforth known as the PQA.  The PQA has 15 (I think) categories on a 5 point Likert scale (1= not at all, 5=a lot).  All the categories are skills/traits that a good counselor should have: empathy, organizational skills, sense of humor, confidence and a whole bunch of others.  Each professor fills on out for us and they average the scores.  They also get to comment if they feel it's necessary.  If any category is either 3 or less OR less than 3 (I forget which one it is), you need to come up with a remediation plan to show improvement.  If there are 3 or more categories with 3 or less you could be asked to leave the program.  They have been done for a week and I have been anxiously awaiting an email from my advisor to set up a meeting time to discuss my PQA.  I honestly don't think I will be asked to leave and I'm sure I'll be fine but it's soooooo nerve wracking.  

I think that's the worst part; even though I have a GPA of 3.9 and I have continued to excellent grades this semester, I can still be deemed unqualified or unfit to be a counselor and they won't place me for my internship.  EEK!  It may seem completely unfair but the program, by law, is required to "gate keep" the field and make sure that we are ready and will do no harm.  So it sucks but I get it.  

So my meeting is Thursday.  My advisor is awesome and is ending class early on Thursday to meet with us.  

I guess a bonus in all this is that I have a presentation on Thursday for a different class so I am focusing on that and not my PQA meeting.  So if you have any questions on Disaster Mental Health, I'm the girl to ask.    

1 comment:

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

Well, how did it go?

P.S. This crap never ends, but when you are in the corporate world they call these performance reviews and base your pay raises and bonuses on them. And they are always kinda yucky, even when they are good.